Sunday, November 4, 2007

Tag, You're IT!

Let's have some fun : ) Most of my friends are relatively new bloggers, but how new are you? Too new to know what to do when you've been tagged?!
Here's how you play this one: List seven or more of your favorite children's books and their authors. Afterwards tag a few of your friends and let the game go on. (And how about a favorite book-reading picture to go along with the theme???) : )

My favorites are (not listed in any particular order):
1) It Could Always Be Worse by Margot Zemach (humorous tale about not complaining).
2)Twenty and Ten by Claire Huchet Bishop
3)The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (I love Eleanor Estes in general, but this is a particularly good one for little ones!)
4)The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward (I love animal stories!)
5) Blueberries for Sal (Classic! Love reading it to each of my kids... Kurplink, kurplunk, kurplank)
6)Night Noises by Mem Fox (Reminds me of something my family would have done for our sweet granny and gramps.)
7) Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox (sweet story about an old woman remembering things from her childhood).
8)Dear Juno by Soyung Pak (another good one about a little boy's grandma and their relationship through writing letters).
9) Stelluna by Janell Cannon (about a little bat who gets befriended by a bird family after being separated from his mommy).
10) A Mother for Choco by Keiko Kasza (a heart-warming tale about adoption).
Um. I know I'm leaving some out. (Best-Loved Doll by Rebecca Caudill, and Curious George (the old ones) by HA Rey, and Mike Mulligan et al by Virginia Lee Burton... all so good!)
But now I have to list my favorites for older children:
1)Milly Molly Mandy by Joyce Lankester Brisley(all mommies with little girls need to read this! The second one is great too, More Milly Molly Mandy)
2) Betsy Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (a favorite series, wonderfully sweet stories)
3)Kildee House by Rutherford Montgomery (another animal book, so fun to read with my Noah)
4)Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat (more animals)
5)Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan (very adventurous and historical WWII story)
6)All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor (so innocent and wholesome)
7)The Borrowers by Mary Norton (creative story about tiny people, loved the whole series!)
8)Secret of the Andes (totally cried at the end when the little boy figures out who his family is...)
9)A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck(another tear-jerker about two children and their hilarious grandmother and their wonderful summers together)
10)My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett (imaginative, one of Spencer's all-time faves!)
OK, I might have to do this once a year. I know I am leaving out tons, like all of the DeJong books (Along Came a Dog, Shadrack, Hurry Home Candy...) and of course Beverly Cleary's Henry Huggins series, and Ralph S. Mouse, (my boys LOVED them!), The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (I cried on that one, too)....what about Charlotte's Web by EB White... so classic!) OK, so what books did you love reading to your kids?
I tag:
Becky at Madeira Madness
Lindsay at the gibson crew
Jamie at bringingbeautyfrommypain
Meghann at thehasty4
Reba at nickandrebeccaswan
Shawnda at spiritofadoption
Lisa at 3orange1blonde
and Jess at muchmooregrace
Have fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My goodness. What a challenge!!! Oh me. I'm gonna have to go brush up on my children's book reading days. Okay..I'll be thinking.

Madeira girl said...

Done! Although not many people left to tag after you tagged most of them!:)

JJandFive said...

By the way, Becky, your boys need those Dejong books I mentioned. They like animal stories, don't they? I think you guys would really like them... they're s-w-e-e-t... *sniff*

L said...

Hi Juli -
These are some of our favorite picture books - Roxaboxen, Alice Mclerran; The Gardener, Sarah Stewart; Billy and Blaze series, C.W. Anderson; Amos and Boris (& Silvester and the Magic Pebble), William Steig; Cordorey and Beady Bear, Don Freeman; Dogger (and others), Shirley Hughes; If Jesus Came to our House, Joan Thomas; and Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams. These are sweet - I still cry every time I finish Roxaboxen.

As far as chapter books - the Betsy-Tacy and Anne of Green Gables will always be my favorite for girls! I don't have any boy favorites yet, looking forward to discovering them though :)

Thanks for the invite to your blog to share our favorite books :)
Love you!
Laura

JJandFive said...

Thanks for stopping by, Laura : ) I've never read several of those including Roxaboxen... I will have to order it now that it comes so highly recommended by you ; ) Thank you for commenting!
Love you too!
(You know, I keep a list of some of your favorites in my email box. I think I bought every one of them. You probably noticed some of them in my list of favorites...)

chuck said...

i don't have to list any since my sis listed every book i would have listed :) sorry ju - i don't have my own account so i'll be chuck. next year i want to go to that boohoomooboo whatever it was called farm with you too. love ya.