Sunday, November 11, 2007

Gideon and the book of Judges

We are going through several books in the Old Testament right now in church, and I have been reading ahead of time, during my quiet times at home. The other day I read the story of Gideon and the fleece. My favorite part is when Gideon says, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request."... Have you ever been hesitant to ask for one-more-thing from God? Perhaps it's unbelief (as it seems it was for Gideon), or maybe you just don't feel like you deserve it. I know I'm hesitant to ask sometimes!

Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised- look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water.
Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew." Judges 6:36-40

Such a beautiful reminder of the patience and mercy of God. He proves His faithfulness to us, over and over again.
"O great and powerful God, whose name is the LORD Almighty, great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds." Jere. 32:18b-19

Hope you all have a restful day today.
: ) J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good word Juli! I admit that I am sometimes hesitant to ask God for anything... But I'm glad that he does desire to hear from me anyway in spite of the way that I feel. And also I am thankful that he does answer prayer. Thank you again.