Sunday, December 2, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom


Three and a half years ago, my family lost one of the dearest people in our lives.

My Mom was an extraordinary person. Faithfully married to my Dad for almost fifty years, mother to ten children, and grandmother to twenty-six grandchildren, there was nothing more dear to her heart than her family. I dream of emulating her never-ending patience, her unconditional love, her ability to balance such a large family, her self-sacrificing servant heart, her unparalleled ability to cook, her gift of hospitality. My trusted friend, my confidant, my Mother. Her absence has literally been felt every day since July 25, 2004.


"A child speaking to a friend of his home, was asked; "Where is your home?" Looking up with loving eyes at his mother, he replied, "Where mother is." Home! What a hallowed name! How full of enchantment and how dear to the heart! Home is the magic circle within which the weary spirit finds refuge. It is the sacred asylum to which the care-worn heart retreats to find rest from the toils and cares of life. Home! That name touches every fiber of our soul. Nothing but death can break its spell. And, as dear as home can be, is the mother that presided over it, and that we loved. Long years may have flown since we saw that home, and since the dearest of all earthly friends has slept the long and silent sleep of death, but that home and that mother will never cease to awaken the sweeten recollections of our lives. "Home, Sweet Home!" -John McCoy from Golden Thoughts of Mother, Home & Heaven.

Today would have been my Mom's 74th birthday.

Happy Birthday, Mom. "May the dear Lord bless you", as you revel in His presence.
We are all thinking of you today, and miss you dearly.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

No wonder you seemed a little down this morning my friend! I am so sorry that I didn't realize today was your sweet mama's birthday. I will pray for you now! Love you:)

Jessica Moore said...

What sweet pictures and how honoring your words. Thanks for this glimpse into heart. I know this day is a challenging one. Good job for focusing on the blessings. I am praying for you, my dear friend.
Love you!
Jess

Denise said...

Oh Juli, this was so beautiful and sad to read. Your mom sounds like the epitomie of a mother who is happiest at home serving faithfully and tirelessly her husband and children. You must miss her so much. I pray today as her birthday comes without her to be present, the Lord will comfort your heart and remind you of her in special ways, as no one on earth can do. You are loved, friend.

Anonymous said...

((((Juli)))) I pray that the Lord will hold you today as you miss you wonderful mother... I know she must be so proud of you!!!!

Wagener family fun said...

Juli, I must say from my heart that you have followed in your mother's footsteps. You love the Lord with all your heart. You are faithfully married to John, you balance a large family with such patience that I have always admired. You have a self-sacrificing heart to reach out to all around you near and far. You have the gift of hospitality which we all have been blessed by. You have the ability to cook (I remember our last dinner with you it was cordon bleu and it was so yummy). Your Mom may not be here in flesh but Juli she lives on through your heart and your life. Happy Birthday to your Mom and may you always remember that all of the attributes you admired in your mom have been passed down to you.
God Bless you dear friend.
Shawna

JJandFive said...

You all are so kind.
Thank you : )