Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday Family Highlight


One of the things I would like to use this blog for, is to encourage those around me that are used by God to spur me on to "love and good deeds" (Heb. 10:24). I'd like to start a new "Themed Day" (Fridays) to highlight one of my family members or friends and publicly thank them for their example. Hope they spur you on as they have me. : )

For several weeks, I've been meaning to write about my wonderful niece, Maggie.

Most of you local folks have met Maggie before, but for those who haven't, Maggie is my oldest brother's daughter. She is fifteen years old, and lives about two hours north of us in Boone, NC.
About five years ago, Maggie told her Mom she wanted a baby brother or sister. Maggie's Mom told her to come visit us sometime instead. ; )
Since then, Maggie has visited us several times each year. Every time before she comes, she prepares games and crafts to do with the children. The kids are always thrilled when she comes to see us.
Maggie is very talented. She has learned to decorate cakes with the skill of a professional. Now she comes for almost all of the children's birthdays to decorate for their parties and help make their cakes. She helps me plan weeks ahead of time, sending me links to websites and lengthly emails determined to make the next party the best one yet. Often she makes pinatas ahead of time, or goodies to go with the theme. She's also not intimidated by my occasional lack-of-planning, rushing to the dollar store at the last minute and throwing a party together in two days...
We love Maggie.
Last time Maggie was here, she brought all the things necessary to make us a meal... lasagna and homemade bread. She taught Alyssa how to make both from scratch. The time before that, Maggie taught Alyssa how to crochet, and finished the uncompleted project on her own, which was given to Alyssa on another visit. She taught all of the children how to make beaded keychains, and Hama bead decorations... and even how to make and send Christmas "cookies" on Facebook. ; )
Amazing, isn't she?!
We are thankful for the willing service Maggie always provides our family. She is a great help to me. She cheerfully entertains the younger children while I homeschool the older ones, and she expects nothing in return. She plans and prepares ahead of time to serve our family, and always anticipates being with us. Maggie is pleasant to be with, always smiling and sharing good humored tales from her own family life.
I am also grateful to the outstanding example of Maggie's parents. For their willingness to share Maggie with us several times a year, for driving her here and picking her up for each visit, for taking care of Maggie's doggie whenever she comes, but most of all for the tremendous example they have been to my family in raising children. Each of their children are a delight to know and a reflection of their parents' diligent training and love.
Thank you Mike, Lisa and Maggie. We love you guys : )

2 comments:

PJ said...

We love Maggie!

Lindsay said...

What an example! I pray my girls can serve like that one day:)