Sunday, December 30, 2007

Friday Family Highlight

Yesterday was my sister's fiftieth birthday. It was a busy day as we were all gathered for Christmas at my brother Mike's house, so I wasn't able to honor Pat as much as I would have liked to.
Pat is a woman worthy of honor.
My sister became a Christian when I was just a child, and was the primary person God used in my life to draw me to Himself. When I was a rebellious teenager, Pat regularly reminded me of the eternal consequences of my sin and my need for a Savior. At age 15, in an effort to pursue a relationship with the Lord, I moved to Boone to live with her. Pat and her husband shepherded my heart for two years as I lived with their family.
I carry with me today lessons I learned from those years in their home. First of all, in the two years I lived with them, I never saw or heard Pat and Carey in an argument. They have honored the Lord with a peace-filled home and a strong, loving marriage. Secondly, their home was always one full of faith. Pat and Carey were dedicated to their church, regularly attending meetings and serving in several capacities. Pat demonstrated her faith each time one of her children fell down or was having a difficult time, by stopping whatever she was doing to pray aloud for them. I also distinctly remember Pat and Carey leading their children in devotions every night that I lived with them, reading a chapter from the Bible and taking the time to pray as a family.
As a mother, Pat is extraordinarily wise. She is often the very first person I call when needing advice in parenting, and I have benefited greatly from this gift in her life. All three of their now-grown children are serving the Lord, and although Pat would quickly attribute their faith to God's grace, I know that she has been a primary means of that grace in their lives.
There are many other evidences of God's grace in Pat's life as well. She is merciful, diligent, and intelligent, a perfect combination for the full-time nurse she became once her children had grown. She is a fabulous steward of all God has given her, and extremely generous and thoughtful as well.
However, what I love the most about Pat is her faithful friendship. Throughout the years she has been there when I've needed a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear, a faith-filled prayer, contagious laughter, encouragement, wise counsel, and even gracious reproof.
A Christian contemporary group called Watermark wrote a song that describes in many ways what Pat has been to me. Pat framed the words of the song for me years ago, but the feelings are mutual.
More Than You'll Ever Know
Somethin' brought you to my mind today,
I thought about the funny ways you make me laugh.
And yet I feel like it's OK to cry with you.
Somethin' about just bein' with you
When I leave I feel like I've been near God,
And that's the way it ought to be...
'Cause you've been more than a friend to me.
You fight off my enemies,
'Cause you have spoken the truth over my life.
And you'll never know what it means to me,
Just to know you've been on your knees for me.
Oh you have blessed my life more than you'll ever know.

And may the blessing return to you a hundred fold."

I love you, Pat. I hope you had a very blessed birthday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

jul,
this means more to me, at this time especially, than you might imagine. thank you for loving me, and for these encouraging words. without a doubt, you have the gift of encouragement. I Thes.5:11
i love you! pat
God has blessed me again and again, forever my sister, forever my friend
=)

3orange1blonde said...

Julz..
This is the song I also gave you when I was leaving Charlotte back in '98..remember?? That was so sad!! But this song is also true of you, Jul.

Denise said...

This is just so lovely, Juli. I am so encouraged by the way you love your ENTIRE family and honor each one of them... They've obviously been huge instruments of God's grace and mercy in your life, znd it's sweet to get glimpses of that from your entries.

Love the song, it's precious!

Happy new year, dear friend!