Friday, September 5, 2008

Growing Up

Noah's birthday was quite different this year than it has been in the past. For one thing, Noah decided he didn't care to have a "themed" birthday party. Although it was important to him to have his best buddies over to celebrate, and to do something special with just one of them at a later date.
On Sunday, we'll have a pool/pizza party to which five of his friends have been invited. (I may drum up goody bags... kids like candy no matter how old they get!). For the following Sunday, he has asked to bring Christopher with him to Carowinds. (Originally, he wanted to go to a Panthers' game with Chris, but didn't want to wait for the first home game.)
Rather than a specially shaped and decorated cake, Noah told me he would like a chocolate raspberry cheesecake instead. (How's that for particular?)
For Noah's birthday gifts, he requested very specific things:
A pair of Vans, (deja vu!); a sports jacket; two Webkinz with clothing; and....drumroll...two rats. (I know, "ew".)
Noah also asked to shop for his gifts himself. So, yesterday he went on a shopping spree with his Daddy.

Yes, my baby is growing up. We have seen Noah maturing in many areas of his life this year:

Noah has become a more grateful young man. Last night, Noah came out of his room at eleven o'clock. Our conversation went like this:
Noah: "Mom, I have to get my Mossflower book, if that's ok."
Me: "It's too late, Noah, you need to go to sleep."
Noah: "Ok." (He turns to leave.)
Noah: "Mom? Thank you so much for everything today. I've been so blessed."

John mentioned Noah stated his gratefulness for each of his birthday purchases several times yesterday, as well as the time spent gathering them. Noah's thankfulness has become more of a regular occurrence.
Secondly, Noah is a deeply caring person. He regularly watches out and expresses concern for his grandpa. He often jumps up to help Grandpa, to move things out of his way or get things for him, and he lets me know if Grandpa needs any help.
Noah has also grown in sentimentality. Grandma Bett-Bett annually has had each of the children spend the night in celebration of their birthdays. Last year, Bett thought Noah had "outgrown" this tradition, so Noah didn't go. Well, Noah has expressed many times his desire to be with Bett-Bett since then. Pleasantly surprised, Bett will be having him over sometime in the next couple of weeks.
I have also seen an increased diligence in Noah with his schoolwork. He has not complained about his assignments at all, and has even mentioned enjoying his work several times in the last couple of weeks. For a homeschool mom, this is a BIG deal.

Most importantly, we have seen an increased maturity in Noah's relationship with the Lord. A few months ago Noah responded to an altar call at the Rebelution conference by Alex & Brett Harris. Although this was his third time expressing a desire to the Lord to be a Christian, we have seen a more sober awareness of the truth of the Gospel, and his knowledge of doctrine continues to be defined and embraced. He has read several difficult books on spiritual truth including: Do Hard Things, How Can I Be Sure I'm a Christian, Humility, Gospel for Real Life, Living a Cross Centered Life, and is currently reading Morning and Evening for his daily devotions.
The fruit we have seen in Noah's life this year gives me much hope and excitement for the upcoming teen years. What a privilege and joy we have in seeing our children grow.

8 comments:

3orange1blonde said...

thanks for doing that! I love hearing all about him. Philippians comes to mind, "I thank God each time I think of you.." (or something to that tune) I love you Master Noah and pray that this year will be not only one of change, but great change..you are a precious, precious boy...o.k.--you are totally cool dude!

Wagener family fun said...

Juli,
I really enjoyed the quick moments I had to see you and the children last month. I can not believe how much Noah has changed from the young boy dressing up and playing cowboys and army men with Landen into this young man. I have too have seen such a change in Landen and I believe it is that our children are growing into men.
We are blessed that they are showing fruits of the spirit in their lives. Noah has always had a tender heart and I can not wait to see how the Lord uses that for his ministry.
Happy Birthday Noah!!!
Rats??? Juli my dear friend you are one brave woman.

Lindsay said...

That was such a great post on Noah Juli:)
But I am still grossed out about the rats. ewwwwhhh.
Have those things padlocked in their cage tom night. okay?

Unknown said...

praise God for His ongoing work in Noah's life. Noah has always been a delight and a blessing! much love from aunt pat =)
i know, too, that grandma abby would be so proud of him!

Unknown said...

I couldn't be prouder of Noah!!! 12 years ago when I first saw him I worried about his futher. God answered prayers that day for 2 families.
With your's and John's teaching my dreams for that baby has been answered a 100 times over. Thank you for letting me be part of your family by sharing.
No matter how long or far away a grandmother's love is always there.

Love Beverly

3orange1blonde said...

So I showed Skye this blog as he is jumping right here saying, "show-oh me the vi-vi-videeeeos, videos OHHRR pics, oh yah, momma" (those are his exact words) and then he looks at Noah's pic for a brief second while I say, "Look Skye, look how big Noah is..it's his birthday" and he says ever so non-challantly (sp?) and then walks away to something else.."yah, he's gonna beat his family up..and all those boys". Haa! So Noah, don't worry if you're not as big as those other kids (or maybe you are??!) because Skye thinks you're HUGE!!

KimE said...

I love those Brian Jacques books! It's fun that he's reading them. I can't believe he and Emma are 12 already! Happy happy birthday, Noah!

Denise said...

Wow Juli, this is a testimony of God's working in Noah's life, and hopefully just a small peice of the fruits that will come from all the faithful sowing and nurturing you and John have done over the years into his heart. Sounds like a fun birthday too!