Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gets Me Every Time

Forgetting I'm called to serve, John sent me this sweet, piercing reminder by none other than Spurgeon himself:

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might." (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

"This is what thou art here for. Thou art here for a certain purpose. Suppose, now, the duty which lies against our door to be a very disagreeable one. A sad thing that any duty should be disagreeable to the man who has been saved by Christ, but so it is.

There are some duties, which while we are nothing but poor flesh and blood will always be less agreeable than certain others; yet, mark you, though the duties seem to you to be degrading and disagreeable, contrary to your taste, yet the exhortation hath it, "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might." Whether
it be the visitation of the poorest of the poor or the teaching of the most ignorant, whether the hewing of wood or the drawing of water, the very lowest work in the Lord's house, if thy hand findeth it to
do it.

Christ Jesus might say to us, "Oh, you don't like teaching the poor;
it is beneath your dignity; then let your commander-in-chief do it; he can teach the poor, he can wash the feet of the saints, he can visit the sick and afflicted—he came from heaven to do this, and he will set you the example."

Surely we should each be ashamed of ourselves, and declare from this time forward whatever it is, be it great or little, if it comes to our hand, and if God will but give us help and give us grace, we will do it with all our might."


Oh me.

3 comments:

Wagener family fun said...

I have realized this very point here recently. I mean I have known it all along but I have disregarded the truth in it with my excuses. My excuses are my sin issues that keep me from doing the Lords work through me. Thank you for this reminder Juli and John.

Lindsay said...

That was really good Juli. Thank you for sharing it. I am praying for you!

3orange1blonde said...

Hey. This place of self serving is a very lonely place. I'm so guilty of it each and every day. I need these reminders and my time with the Lord each day..oh Lord, refresh and renew me and give me the desire to serve you.