Friday, March 28, 2008

A Bit of Conviction for the Day

“There is no other way in which one’s life will be so surely, so quickly transfigured, as in the faithful, happy, cheerful doing of every-day tasks. We need to remember that this world is not so much a place for doing things as for making character. Right in the midst of what some people call drudgery is the very best place to get the transfigured life. The doing of common tasks patiently, promptly, faithfully, cheerfully, makes the character beautiful and bright. But we must take heed always that we do our tasks, whatever they are, with love in our heart. Doing any kind of work unwillingly, with complaint and murmuring, hurts the life.”
–JR Miller

6 comments:

3orange1blonde said...

Im gonna print this off and when I'm in thebathroom disciplining Skye or in my kitchen doing the dishes, which I hate to do, I'll just read this and snap out of it!!!

JJandFive said...

Ha! I wish it was that easy! : )
I think I need to write on my white boards in the schoolroom! : )

JJandFive said...

So, are you related to JR Miller, Lis?! ; )

3orange1blonde said...

It is that easy sometimes..just a swift wisdom wacker to my backside and it might fix me!! I AM actually related to him, that's why I'm so wise all the time and don't really need fancy quotes like that, to keep me in line. heehhaaa! Perhaps if I dropped the "Lisa" part and just substituted it with L.A.Miller and didn't talk much and just memorized a few choice phrases..then I'd be well known..eh-hem..for my wisdom, that is!

Rebecca said...

Which book is that from? It is an excellent quote! Also, Lisa, if you're reading this, can you invite me to your blog?

JJandFive said...

Reba, it's from Mary Wilder Tileston's "Joy and Strength" which is a compilation of Puritan writings and "dead guy" quotes. I've been enjoying it in quiet moments whenever I get a chance. : )