Friday, November 28, 2008

Grateful

As Thanksgiving has come and gone, I am, again, grateful for my family. The holiday season does that to me.
In light of that gratefulness, my mind shifts to one of my family members who is not with us this holiday season, instead she has chosen to leave her father and mother and brother and sister for the sake of the kingdom (Luke 18:29).
Five months ago, my niece Katie, began an eleven-month missions trip with the World Race. Katie, presently stuck in Bangkok due to political protesting throughout the city, recently posted this video:

Orphans of the Storm from katie rowland on Vimeo.

As I have watched each of Katie's videos documenting her journey, I am ashamed of how self-focused I can be, living my comfortable suburban life while so much suffering is going on around me. I am too quick to forget the (approximate) 143 million orphans worldwide. These children will not be with family this holiday season, their lives have been shattered by tragedy.

Katie, thank you for the joy you are bringing these children in the midst of their sorrow, in particular for laying down your life in order to share the gospel with them that they may, someday, experience lasting joy with their Father in Heaven. You are bringing Him much glory as you continue to pour out your life for these people. Thank you for your example to all of us at home. We love you and miss you very much.
xoxo,
Aunt Juli

4 comments:

katie.rowland said...

you made me cry! but hey i've got flanigan blood, that's nothing new. :)

thank you so much. i love you guys so much and miss you!!! so fun seeing the girls on skype the other day!

go get a tattoo! ;) hehe i promise it doesn't hurt as bad as you think it will.

katie.rowland said...

PS i think you should get a tattoo that just says,
"love"

you should look through old letters/cards to find your mom's handwriting that says love. THAT would be special.

but only if you want to... :) that's just my suggestion!

Madeira girl said...

Juli, that made me cry. Oh, it is hard not to just sell everything and go sometimes! I am praying, praying, praying. Thank you for posting this. It was beautiful.

JJandFive said...

I can tell you have a heart for missions, Becky ; ) It pulls at my heartstrings, too. 'Specially workin' with those orphans.